Welcome to the Room 42 Book Blog. This is our interactive reading project that the students of the fifth grade at Manor Hill will be working on throughout the 2007-2008 school year. This blog is not, however, intended for just students. Click on the link at the right “more information” to find out all of the details about this project. Happy Reading!

Sunday, September 30, 2007

The Big Read - A Farewell to Arms

I read an article in the newspaper a few months ago saying that Kansas City was participating in a program called the "Big Read". Basically this is a program that encourages people in communities all across the country to read the same book. I have put the link below to the Big Read web site. I am planning on participating and I thought this would be a great forum for anyone that is interested. The book for the Kansas City area is A Farewell to Arms by Earnest Hemmingway. I just bought two copies of the book, one for me and one for my brother. As I read the book I will be posting my thoughts in the comments sections. I encourage anyone that is looking for a good book to read to pick up a copy of A Farewell to Arms. I won't be doing anything with this in class because it doesn't fit our curriculum but I encourage other adults to participate.

http://www.neabigread.org/books/farewelltoarms/

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you know that Manor Hill is doing something similar? Each month all classrooms will read the same book that focuses on the character trait for the month. For example, in October everyone read the book Clean Your Room, Harvey Moon! to talk about responsibility.
Mrs. Green

Monday, October 22, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mr. Kelsey-
After I read that paragraph you 've made me want to read A Farrwell to Arms. I think I should read that book because you told me in class and you told me in the paragraph that alot of adults in Kansas City, MO were readijng that book and I want to know good that book is. See Ya! Happy Reading!
Brandin

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Kelsey, is it a really good book? It sound good and all but I don’t know if I want to read it yet and I change my mind were do I find it? Oh I almost forgot you did a really good job at describing it on your post. And did they really encourage you to read it? - Hope

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just finished Farewell to Arms and I have to say, I am not a big fan. I felt like the book was very repetitive in the language that it used, especially the conversations between the main character and his wife. I really did not like the ending. It just kind of left you hanging there wanting thigns to be wrapped up more but it just kind of stopped. There were a few parts with action in them but even those weren’t as exciting as I thought they could be. Overall, I’m glad that I read it but probably wouldn’t read it again and am not in a big hurry to read anything else by Hemmingway, although, my brother has said that The Old Man and the Sea is really good. I might eventually get to that.

Mr. Kelsey

Thursday, December 06, 2007

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home